I also wanted to update everyone on what we've been working on at school this month. In Reading we are continuing to practice the aspects of the The Daily 5.We have really been focusing on how to read ( reading the words, reading the pictures, re-telling stories). We have also been talking about choosing books that are a good fit. That means students should be interested in the book and they should be able to read the book with the words or pictures. We are also practicing how to read to ourselves or with a partner. Our whole group lessons are working on story elements and story comprehension. Our Alphfriends are helping us review the letters of the alphabet and their sounds. We have also been spending lots of time writing in our journals.
In Math we just finished up practice comparing groups and graphing. We had fun voting and graphing the results several times. I think the students had the most fun sorting M & Ms and graphing the colors they got in each bag! Before Thanksgiving we are reviewing numbers 1-10 and practicing writing them correctly. Everyday we are continuing to practice counting to 100 by 1's and 10's, soon we will also be counting by 5's.
In Religion we are beginning to study some of the stories of the Old Testament. The kids had fun making their own books about the creation story. Next, we'll be reading about Noah and the Ark!
After finishing up some seasonal science activities on plant life cycles, we are now going to move on to studying animals. I know the kids love animals so it should be an exciting topic to learn with the students!
Today was our first round of parent-teacher conferences! I really enjoyed meeting with you and talking about your children and I am looking forward to meeting with everyone else on Monday. Most of all I love watching each student's progress over the coarse of the year and I think its great that I get the chance to meet update you on all the great things your kids can do!
Our class has a couple of changes coming up in our schedule. In addition to our recent change in gym times, we will also have new changes coming for music and art too. I will be sending an update paper copy in the folders next week but here are our new times:
Monday:
- Library 9:30
- Chinese 10:00 - 10:30
Tuesday:
- Gym 9:05 - 9:35
- Mass 10:30
- Music 1:30 - 2:00
Wednesday:
- Gym 9:05 - 9:35
- Computers 11:05 - 11:35
Thursday:
- Art 9:20 - 10:00
Friday:
- Gym 9:05 - 9:35
- Music 1:30 - 2:00
Next week will be a quick week, only two days of school! Remember that we earned an extra 1/2 off because of the success of the auction! Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment