Monday, September 10, 2012

Weekly Update #3

Its our first FULL week of school!

Here are a few things coming up -

Tuesday - All School Mass (K-12) @ 9:40
Thursday - Picture Day - Student can wear dress clothes
Friday - Packer/Bear Day - Students can wear team apparel with any bottoms
Curriculum Night - Sept. 18

Here's what we are working on this week -

Reading - We will have mini lessons on how to use the listening center and the writing center. We will be working toward integrating four aspects of the Daily 5 into rotation on a daily basis. The students will have the opportunity to read to self, listen to reading, do word work, and to work on writing. I am continuing reading assessments this week.

Writing/Spelling - We will have the first of our writing lesson using the "6 Trait" writing program. This blog has a brief description of each of the traits. http://www.thenewsfrommrshughes.org/6traits.html The first lesson involves developing good ideas. Spelling this week is continuing with short a words. Spelling practice test on Thursday, real test on Friday.

Math - Addition and subtraction continues with partners of 7,8,9, & 10.  (any IXL practice can be with working on addition/subtraction facts)

Religion - God's gifts (the different gifts of creation & our own gifts)

S.S. - Jobs at school & at home, good citizenship.

Homework this week - keep updating the monthly reading sheet, spelling practice, & math review & practice. Spelling practice can be completed on the back of the sheets that came home or any other paper available.

One Friday I sent home a note about my continuing Action Research Project through Cardinal Stritch University. Please send back the signed permission slip this week if you are allowing your child to participate. If you have any questions about this please let me know! I appreciate your help with my project! If all goes according to plan, I will be able to complete my thesis in December :)

***I am also in need of a few helping hands with our classroom library. The task I need assistance with involves color coding our books by their levels. I have already looked up all the levels for the books. I just need a few hands to help re-sort the books and apply the colored stickers to each book. Once this is complete it will make it easier to match the books to the children's reading levels. If you are available to help during the school day or after school this week or next week please let me know!***

Have a great week!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment