Here's what is happening this week....
The students all seem to be adjusting well. They have been very tired and the heat seems to wipe them out by the end of each day! So with all that considered, I think they are really adjusting well.
We are continuing to establish our routines this week. I am slowly introducing more and more to the kids each day.
The first homework folders should be in your child's backpack today. I'll send homework home at the start of the week...it can come back on Friday. The homework can be completed anytime during the week. Keep in mind that some of the math lessons will be taught later in the week. If something with the homework is confusing or if you are unable to complete it at home please let me know. The reading log included in the folder will help you track the reading you are doing at home with your child. The more they read or listen to reading the better they will become at reading! Please return the completed form at the end of the month. I included some ideas for spelling practice at home. The spelling city page is all ready to go if your child likes to use the computer to practice - http://www.spellingcity.com/MrsKenesie/ look for this weeks list on my page.
We had our first music class today.....our new teacher's name is Mr. Brown. Please add an additional music class to our schedule for Friday mornings at 8:30. I will send home an updated paper copy of the schedule soon.
Here's what is happening in some of our subjects this week:
Reading - establishing our Daily 5 routine. We've been working on finding good fit books and building our reading stamina. Later in the week I will be showing the students the different types of things they can do during word work and what they can do during work on writing time.
Later this week and next week I will be completing my first reading assessment on the kids. This will give me a starting point for guided reading groups and individual student needs.
Math - Establishing our daily math routine. Our new math curriculum has the students jumping right into addition/joining number. Mrs. Santarelli will be highlighting some of the important features in the new math with a note coming home later in the week.
Spelling - I completed a spelling inventory on all the kids last week. This gave me a brief overview of their skills. I matched them with a list based on this initial assessment. As their skills grow and change I will update you. For now they will stay on the list that they have been assigned. So if your child is studying list "A" this week, they will study list "A" again next week with their new words. I will update you if this changes.
Remember that Thursday is a 1/2 day for teacher inservice!
No comments:
Post a Comment