Monday, August 26, 2013

Welcome Back to SJCA - Update #1

Welcome to the first full week of school for the 2013-2014 school year! I am looking forward to a great year with the kids filled with learning and lots of fun! Each week I will be using this blog to update you on what is happening each week. I will also include posts about special events happening throughout the year. Be sure to check back each week.

Over the next few weeks I will also try to explain some classroom procedures or academic areas that need a little extra explanation. Feel free to ask questions about anything! This week I will start off with homework procedures.

Homework-
Students will take home their homework at the start of the week (Mondays unless we are off then it will be Tuesday). Homework will be completed during the week and returned on Friday. In the homework folder you can expect to see a word list to study (Fry words), a reading log (one per month), math, & a spelling list. Next week will be the first time homework comes home on Tuesday.

Each week I will also highlight the academic areas we will be studying so you know what is happening each week at school.

Daily 5/reading - Language skills practice (daily), word work (defining back to school vocabulary words), Daily 5 mini lesson (choosing good fit books & ways to read to self) Reading assessment using the STAR test.

Math - Work on establishing our daily math routine. Beginning of the year math assessment.

Language/Writing - Beginning of the year spelling assessment. Writing mini book about the first week of school.

Religion - God created the world, God created all people, God gives us special gifts, God promises to love us always.

Social Studies - preview of topics to be studied throughout the year

Social Skills - Establishing classroom procedures & routines and understanding the "3 Bees" as our school rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment