All Saints Day, November 1st, is a Holy Day of obligation. SJCA Lower Campus will be celebrating Mass at 9:00am in St. Mark Church, there is no school Mass on Tuesday October 30th that week. New this year, students are invited to come to school dressed like a Saint. This is meant to be a Family Faith Activity and is completely optional. Saint costumes should be comfortable and safe to wear at school. There are several resources on the internet with pictures of Patron Saints and photos of other school age children in Saint costumes if you need inspiration. Help your child learn about the Saint, when/where they lived, and what they are remembered for. We hope this is a fun activity for families and look forward to seeing all of the Saints at school.
Red Ribbon Week Activities:
Tuesday - Crazy socks
Wednesday - Wear red tops with uniform bottoms. We also have the "living Rosary rescheduled today @ 12:45)
Thursday - clean up around the school
Friday - Black & orange day (jeans ok too) Classroom Halloween party 2-2:40
Friday evening - School Halloween party 5:30 - 8:00. This is a fun family night.
A special thank you to all of our chaperones who attended the field trip last week! The kids had a wonderful time! I'm so happy the weather co-operated and we stayed dry!!!!! I took lots of pictures of all the fun. I will be sharing them soon via shutterfly!
Academics -
- Reading - Continuing to work on the reading strategy making connections. High frequency word practice. Choral reading practice with poetry.
- Math - Subtraction strategies (finishing up unit 2 on Friday, testing on Monday)
- Language Arts - Spelling studying the sounds of wh/th. Continuation of our 6 Traits writing lessons - working on creating bold beginnings. Continued practice of language skills using our Daily Language Review packets.
- Social Studies - map skills (cardinal directions) & family/community traditions.
- Religion - reviewing the Holy Family, testing on this topic on Wednesday
- Technology - working on developing keyboarding/typing skills.
- Homework - finish up October reading logs, spelling practice, math packet, new high frequency word list practice, & practice reading. This week I added a paper reading book to the folders. It can be used to build reading fluency throughout the week. You can keep the book as long as needed, please return to school when you are finished practicing it. I will send home new books weekly.
I am going to add a new piece of technology to our classroom. I will be experimenting with a classroom Twitter account. It is up and running and I started using it last week. It is set up to be protected/private so if you would like to follow us it will send me a request and I will accept you as a follower. For details on on protected Twitter account click the link - https://support.twitter.com/articles/14016 So if you are already using Twitter (or want to start) and you would like to get classroom updates from us click on the "follow us" button on the right!
No comments:
Post a Comment